Friday, November 9, 2012

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Title: Slammed (Slammed #1)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Source: NetGalley

Synopsis:

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.


Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.




Review:



 

Slammed is the first book in the Slammed series by Colleen Hoover. After her father unexpectedly dies, 18 year old Layken, her little brother, and her mother move to Michigan. Layken immediately meets her new neighbor Will, a hot 21 year old guy that she instantly forms a connection with. Unfortunately, they find out their relationship is forbidden, but how do you stay away from someone you have to see on a daily basis?

I mostly read the Paranormal Romance genre, but I have to say that Slammed is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I believe it falls under the new genre called New Adult, and this genre is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Layken is still in high school, but she is 18 and the obstacles she faces are larger than the typical young adult book. She helps to take care of her 9 year old brother Kel, who reminds me so much of my son. He is an endearing boy with quirky habits, and I had a soft spot for him.

I fell in love with the love story in this book. It was amazing. I always like books that have a forbidden romance aspect to them, but in this one you could feel the heartbreak and emotions of the characters.
It all felt very real and believable. It was intense. The plot was amazing. Underneath the love story, you have this other heartbreaking story playing out and the different emotions mixed in were like a roller coaster ride. I read this book in a day, I just couldn't put it down.

This book has some wonderful secondary characters who you will grow to love. The ending wrapped up nicely, and could actually have been a stand alone book. I'm glad that this is a series though and I will get to read more about these characters. However, I was a little unhappy with the epilogue. I won't say what happens, but the epilogue takes place one year after the main story ends. I wasn't happy about missing out on a whole year, I want to know what happened during that time. I hope the next book has a plot that is just as amazing as this one. 

Find this amazing author here:

Find Slammed at the following places:

No comments:

Post a Comment