Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Review: Dante's Girl by Courtney Cole

Title: Dante's Girl (The Paradise Diaries #1)
Author: Courtney Cole

Synopsis:

I have spent every summer since I was ten years old with my father in London. Every summer, since I was ten years old, has been uneventful and boring.
Until this year.

And this year, after a freak volcanic eruption strands me far from home, I have learned these things:

1. I can make do with one outfit for three days before I buy new clothes.
2. If I hear the phrase, “You’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto,” even one more time, I might become a homicidal maniac.
3. I am horribly and embarrassingly allergic to jellyfish.
4. I am in love with Dante Giliberti, who just happens to be the beautiful, sophisticated son of the Prime Minister of a Mediterranean paradise.
5. See number four above. Because it brings with it a whole slew of problems and I’ve learned something from every one of them.

Let’s start with the fact that Dante’s world is five light-years away from mine. He goes to black-tie functions and knows the Prime Minister of England on a first name basis. I was born and raised on a farm in Kansas and wear cut-off jeans paired with cowboy boots. See the difference?

But hearts don’t care about differences. Hearts want what they want. And mine just wants to be Dante’s girl.

My heart just might be crazy.




Review:





Dante's girl is the first book in The Paradise Diaries series by Courtney Cole. It's a young adult book that is a GREAT read. I normally read paranormal stuff, so this was a bit different but I really enjoyed it. Reece is a 17 year old girl from Kansas and falls for the son of a Prime Minister of a Greek island. They meet under interesting circumstances, and she ends up staying at his father's palace in Caberra.

It's a fun, humorous book. It's told from Reece's point of view, and her thoughts were very amusing. She seems very real. She's not perfect and has her dorky moments. I think that teen girls will be able to relate to her. She's a very likable character. Dante is very likable as well. He's sweet, charming, handsome – any teen girl's dream guy. Dante and Reese have great chemistry. Their relationship develops pretty slowly, but it's very sweet.

The writing is great, and the story flows smoothly. There's some adventure/suspenseful moments that add to the interest of the book. The setting was awesome – it's definitely a place that I would like to visit. It was interesting reading about the cultural differences.

I've read that the next book in this series won't center around Reece and Dante, but I hope they make an appearance. This is the first book I've read by Courtney Cole, but I'm sure it won't be my last. I'm looking forward to the next book in The Paradise Diaries series, and I will have to try her other books as well. 

Find the author at her website:

Find the book at the following places:
BAM
 

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately Caberra isn't real but if I ever find a place like it, I'm so moving there. I loved how Courtney Cole mixed in the suspense with all the cute, swoon worthy moments. I am so looking forward to the next Paradise Diaries book. I too hope we see an appearance from Reece and Dante.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard so much about this book and it seems like a great book to read. I am hoping to pick it up and read it on the beach. Great review!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete