Friday, June 29, 2012

Review: Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

 Title: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1)
Author: E.L. James
Source: Purchased

Synopsis:




When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.




 
Review:








Fifty Shades of Grey is the first book in the Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James. It wasn't anything like what I expected. Actually, I don't know what I really expected – I just knew I had to read it after hearing so many people raving about it.

Yes, it's erotic... and it's very graphic. But it's more than that. It's a love story – even though Christian Grey doesn't think he's capable of love. It's a story about a young woman named Ana who falls for a guy who is deeply tormented and has odd desires.

I'll admit that I was appalled at this contract that Christian wanted Ana to sign. He is such a control freak and wanted to control things about her. I'm too stubborn to let anyone tell me what I can and can't do, so I was surprised when Ana put up with some of that crap. This is the first guy that she has ever been attracted to though, and she doesn't want to lose him. I don't really want to give things away, but I will just say that Christian grew on me.

I've read a couple other reviews that said the book was poorly written. I actually loved how it was written. It was written in a first person point-of-view from a 21 year old girl. I loved her thoughts and reactions to things – it seemed so real. I also loved the emails sent between her and Christian – these emails added some humorous elements to the story. Oh, and I loved how Ana was so awkward – it reminded me of myself.

I had the hardest time putting this book down. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. The ending left me shocked and I'm dying to start the next one. People seem to either love this book or hate it. I would recommend it to any woman who loves romance and doesn't mind a lot of sex to go along with it ;)

Find the author here:

Find this book at the following places:

No comments:

Post a Comment