Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent (Divergent #1)
Author: Veronica Roth
Source: library

Synopsis:

In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.




Review:




Divergent is the first book in the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth. It's a dystopian novel featuring a 16 year old girl named Tris. It is set in the future in the city of Chicago. The city is divided into 5 factions: Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), and Erudite (the intelligent). Tris was raised in the Abnegation faction, but at the choosing ceremony she must decide if she wants to stay with her family or choose to join another faction.

While reading this book, it is easy to forget how young the characters are. The book doesn't deal with normal teenage issues, so I think that people of any age would enjoy this book. It is wonderfully written and has great characterization and world building. It makes you grateful to be able to live in the world we currently live in.

Tris is a very brave character, which is kind of surprising considering that she has grown up in such a rigid faction. She is a likeable character and someone that young girls can look up to. She goes through initiation training with several other people her age – some you will instantly like and others you will wish you could push off a tall building. I really liked the character of Four. I like the relationship that slowly builds between him and Tris. I love the fact that Tris isn't the typically attractive heroine, but Four falls for her anyway.

If you are a fan of The Hunger Games or other dystopian novels, then I highly recommend this book. It's a nice mix of action, adventure, and suspense mixed with a bit of romance. I think that a variety of different readers will enjoy this book. I'm anxiously awaiting the next book, Insurgent, which will be coming out very soon!

Find the author here:
http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com/

Find Divergent at the following places:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
BAM

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book when I read it and am impatiently waiting to get my hands on Insurgent! I couldn't put it down....I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too; the characters' situations definitely don't make them seem like the typical teenagers. I can't wait for Insurgent to learn the next part of the story!

    ReplyDelete