Monday, June 27, 2011

Review: The Vampire Who Loved Me


Synopsis:
Dr. Rebecca Chamberlin hated nothing more than the vampires who had turned her loved ones into creatures of the night…until she became one herself. Now her experimental vaccine has become more urgent than ever, and has made her the target of vampire security chief Achilles Stefanos.

Built like a god with golden hair and an irresistible allure, Achilles made her feel passion the way no mortal man had before. Beck could no more deny her craving for him than she could the hated bloodlust in her veins. But when her vaccine fell into the wrong hands, Beck had a difficult choice to make—one that challenged everything she'd always believed....


Review:



The Vampire Who Love Me is a Harlequin Nocturne book. Goodreads says that it is book #113 so I didn't know if all of these were just stand-alone books. I'd say that this book could be read as a stand-alone, but apparently there is one other book that had some of the same characters in it that I would liked to have read first. Since I felt like I was missing out on things a little, it made it harder for me to connect with this book.

I also had a hard time connecting with the heroine - not that she wasn't well written or anything. She is a scientist and has to know why and how EVERYTHING works - I would have liked to see her just relax and live life. Rebecca (also known as Beck) is a great heroine though. She's not one of those damsel in distress types. She's stubborn, independent, and capable of taking care of things herself. She never really "needed" a man in her life, yet she yearned to be important to somebody.

Achilles is everything you could want in a hero - strong, protective, intelligent, sexy, a warrior... He also has a brooding side - he has gone through a lot of heartache. I would say that Achilles is my favorite character from this book. The secondary characters in this book were the lead characters in a previous book - The Truth About Vampires (#107). They seemed like likable characters and I found myself wanting to know more about them.

The plot in this story was really good - definitely unique and intriguing. The writing was good as well, I didn't notice any errors. I wasn't all that excited about the ending though - I thought it was a little too convenient. There was some passion involved, as well as romance and suspense. I do recommend this book to others - especially vampire fans. If there is a 3rd book, I would definitely be interested in reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment