Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review: Paradox - The Angels are Here

Synopsis:
Nine hundred years ago, under the complete cover of darkness, the Grigorian army rose silently from their underground lair and attacked the Bulguardian Royal Palace.

The bloody and violent battle between the two most legendary houses raged on. All but destroying the majestic Royal City of Altair.

It was not the first war that Juliette had endured between good and evil. And it most certainly would not be her last.

After seeing her beloved slaughter a Royal Guardian, Juliette is heartbroken and flees the city of Altair.

Her beloved, in a desperate pursuit to explain the truth and regain her love, commences on a journey that takes him through numerous centuries.

At last he is close, but so is the ferocious enemy that is hell-bent on revenge.

He realises that revealing himself to her now would also mean revealing her to the enemy.

Letting her go is his only choice in ensuring her safety.

Today, Grace's strange but idealised world is turned upside by a visitor - The Angel of Death. And as Grace struggles to survive with her loss, she is also forced to endure haunting visions of the brutal and untimely deaths of those she loves.

Review:


The storyline itself is good - it's very interesting and unique. The trouble that I'm having, is that I still don't fully understand what's going on. This is a very complex story with lots of moving parts, and I think I will have to wait for future installments to really understand what is going on. The beginning starts out with the Angels and the world that they live in. After introducing all these characters, the story quickly shifts to humans living on Earth in modern times. These 2 separate stories almost seem like 2 completely different books, which added to my confusion.

The last couple of chapters attempt to bring the 2 stories together, but there is still a lot of unanswered questions. I felt that the dialogue among Grace and her family/friends doesn't drive the story - it feels more like a filler. I understand that the excessive descriptions were the author's attempt to pull the readers into Grace's emotions, but at times it was overkill.

That being said, I did get pulled into the story through Grace and her emotions. I felt myself riding the roller coaster with Grace, as she dealt with the pain, loss, and healing in her life. I'm not sure what type of reader I would recommend this book to. There were some adult themes dealing with the angels, but most of the book was centered around Grace, who is a child. I am very intrigued by this story and I really can't wait to see how everything ties together.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! Sounds like a good book to me. Its my first time hearing about this. :D Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I haven't heard of this book till today. Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thank you for reviewing my Book. I really appreciated it, and posting it here! Thank you. Book 1 Paradox - The Angels Are Here, is the foundation for the series. Book 2 - Progeny of Innocence (out in November) really pulls the story together and Grace finds herself wondering if her Guardian Angels is from heaven or hell. Here is my blog http://theangelsarehere.wordpress.com/ and again, thank you so much for your well put together review. Cheers Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. win a free copy - click on the link below for details

    http://theangelsarehere.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/paradox-the-angels-are-here/

    All the very best, Patti

    ReplyDelete