Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: Mercy

Synopsis:

A fallen angel haunted by her past. Yearning for her immortal beloved. Forever searching for answers.Who will show her Mercy?

Mercy has lost herself. She can’t count how many times she’s “woken up” in a new body, and assumed a new life, only to move on again and again. During the day she survives in the human world on instinct and at night her dreams are haunted by him. Mercy’s heart would know him anywhere. But her memory refuses to cooperate.

But this time is different. When Mercy wakes up she meets Ryan, an eighteen year old reeling from the loss of his twin sister who was kidnapped two years ago. Everyone else has given up hope, but Ryan believes his sister is still alive. Using a power she doesn’t fully comprehend, Mercy realizes that Ryan is right. His sister is alive and together they can find her. For the first time since she can remember, Mercy has a purpose; she can help. So she doesn’t understand why the man in her dreams cautions her not to interfere. But as Ryan and Mercy come closer to solving the dark mystery of his sister’s disappearance, danger looms just one step behind.

Will Mercy be able to harness her true self and extraordinary power in time?

The first in a dazzling new series, Mercy masterfully weaves romance, mystery and the supernatural into a spell-binding tale.




Review:



I received this book for review on NetGalley. I have to admit, I was drawn to the cover - I love it. I didn't really connect too much with the book though, so I'm a little disappointed. I actually thought the book was kind of strange, and I'm still trying to make out what I thought of it. The synopsis mentions that Mercy is a fallen angel, however, there is no mention of that in the book. Mercy knows she is different, but she doesn't know who or what she is. Every so often, she wakes up in a different body. It's like she possesses a body, but she doesn't know why or how she gets there.

In this book, she wakes up in the body of a teenage girl named Carmen. She realizes she is in this body for a reason - to help a boy named Ryan search for his missing twin sister who is presumed dead. I didn't really care for Mercy though. I'm trying not to spoil the story, but the first thing she says to Ryan is pretty inappropriate and the timing of it is awful. It was just hard for me to warm up to her after that. I also didn't feel as though I really knew anything about any of the characters.

The premise of the story is actually interesting and original. The synopsis mentions a romance, though there really isn't any. There is an opportunity for it, and maybe it will happen in the next book. There are so many unanswered questions though, I felt unfulfilled. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series - hopefully it will better explain what is going on.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... I have been wondering what this book would be like - that is strange that the synopsis didn't really fit the book. I would be interested to see if there were more questions answered in the next book as well.

    HandsAndHome

    ReplyDelete